For over 25 years, Big Brothers Big Sisters of Waterloo Region (BBBSWR) have presented Scholarship Awards to former Little Brothers and Little Sisters. All scholarships have been made possible thanks to the generous support of our donors: The Ross and Doris Dixon Charitable Foundation, The Westmount Golf Club Charity Fund Oktoberfest Charity/ Pro-Am Golf Tournament Committee, The Estate of the late Mary Good, The KW Community Foundation’s Peter McGhee Scholarship Fund, The Trapp Family Bursary, Mr. Jerome Meyer and the Keith Taylor Scholarship fund.
The BBBSWR’s scholarships were established exclusively for Little Brothers and Little Sisters of BBBSWR to help them pursue their post-secondary education and/or career training goals. To qualify, a Little must have been enrolled in our family initiated programs for a minimum of two years, graduated high school and, if selected, must commit to working hard and doing their best.
How to Apply:
- Email email@example.com with your expression of interest for applying for a scholarship. The email should contain a brief description of your involvement with the agency (ie, your name, what program you were in and length of time with the agency) include what post-secondary school you will be attending or applying to
- The Scholarship team will email you an application in mid-April. (All potential recipients who expressed an interest to their caseworker or to firstname.lastname@example.org will be placed on the recipient email list. The list will also include the previous year Scholarship Recipient’s if applicable)
- Complete the Application Process / Requirements for the Application to be considered:
- Complete the application. (please notify your references that they may be contacted)
- Mail or scan the applications along with the following –
- High school transcripts for first year students or previous post-secondary grades if returning student
- An acceptance letter from the school you are planning to go to in the Fall (for first year students only)
- The Letter “why you”
- **Proof of tuition paid/invoice (this will likely not be available at the time the application is due so this will need to be submitted this as soon as it does become available, before mid-August
Ross and Doris Dixon Award – This Scholarship was first presented in 1993 and continues the tradition of helping the young people of our agency. The Award is made possible by very generous donations from the late Mr. and Mrs. Ross Dixon.
The Peter McGhee Award is made possible by bequests designated to Big Brothers Big Sisters on behalf of the late Mr. Peter McGhee and was first presented in 1996. This scholarship is administered through the KW Community Foundation.
Westmount Golf Club Charity Fund Oktoberfest Charity / Pro-Am Golf Tournament Award – This Scholarship is administered through KW Community Foundation is made possible by the generosity of the Westmount Golf Club Charity Fund Oktoberfest Charity Pro-Am Golf Tournament Fund and was first presented in 1998.
The Mary Good Scholarship Award was first presented in 2006, this Scholarship is made possible by a very generous donation from the Estate of Mary Good.
The Trapp Family Bursary scholarship is awarded to a former Little who resides in Elmira.
The Keith Taylor Scholarship is made possible by bequests designated to Big Brothers Big Sisters on behalf of the late Mr. Keith Taylor and was first presented in 2005. This scholarship is administered through the Cambridge and North Dumfries Community Foundation and the Taylor Family.
A special thank you to The Rae Lipskie Partnership for managing our scholarship funds and making a generous annual contribution.