“My daughter always looks forward to her Big Bunch outings. She is very shy and often has trouble communicating with others but whenever her Big comes to pick her up she just runs out the door to start the fun!”
— Parent of a Little
“We are both so grateful for this amazing program which provides great activities and new people in a fun, safe setting.”
— Parent of a Little
“Getting to lead and participate in all of the fun activities reminds me what being a kid was all about.”
— Big Bunch Volunteer
Big Bunch provides children and youth with mentoring support through group-based recreational programming. By participating in recreational activities children and youth develop self-esteem and social skills.
Volunteer Commitment: 2 hours/week | 7 weeks
Big Bunch Mentors and children meet on scheduled evenings and participate in recreational activities planned and paid for by BBBSWR. The program runs 4 times per year in Kitchener-Waterloo and Cambridge.
Through regular outings, a relationship is developed between the Mentors and the children, built on trust and common interests, and is supported by our experienced Program Coordinators. The result is a life-changing experience for both the volunteer Mentors and children.
Our volunteers are caring adults, with various skill sets and a range of experience working with children. Volunteers are extensively screened, receive training regarding child safety, and are supported through consistent contact with Program Coordinators.
The Big Bunch Program strives to:
- encourage youth develop positive relationships with caring adults and peers
- develop and build self-esteem and self-confidence
- increase youths participation in recreational programming
- encourage youth to improve their mental and physical health
- support the development of leadership and life skills
- support the development of social skills
Change a child’s life today apply now. Imagine who they will become because if you!
To become a Big Bunch mentor, you must be:
- Age 18 or older
- Live, work or reside in Waterloo region
- Able to commit to 2 hours a week for 7 weeks
- Have access to a vehicle
- Have evening availability
- Interested in developing a positive friendship with a youth aged 6-16
Your Program Coordinator
I’m here to help you get started!
Please complete the online application form. You will be contacted by a Program Coordinator within 2-3 business days regarding next steps.
We will send an email to confirm we’ve received your application along with a police check letter and your orientation manual.
Police Check & References
Police Checks must be returned to our office and references must be completed before an interview can be scheduled.
An agency Program Coordinator will contact you to book a time to complete the Interview and Pre-Match Training.
Thank you for wanting to volunteer your time to youth in need of a Mentor. We look forward to meeting you and working together to ensure that all youth have the chance to reach their potential.
- Please do not exit out of this browser, otherwise you will lose all your work.
- Once complete, hit submit and we’ll send you a confirmation email with next steps.
- Questions? Call 519-745-0180 ext. 222 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- As part of the application process, we require 3 references over the age of 18. Please ensure that you have informed your references that we will be contacting them and encourage them to check their email (including junk mail folder) for the reference email.
- Please read the full reference instructions on the application to ensure the right contact is provided. Note, a vulnerable sector reference must be someone you’ve reported to and cannot be a family member.
Let’s start your application!