Eat Smart, Play Smart!
“I like to win but even if I don’t, it’s fun to get to play a little bit more, and my Big is good at everything!”
— Game On! Little
“It’s fun to get to play and feel like a kid again!”
— Game On! Volunteer
“We get to play games that we like, but we also talk about things that I don’t really talk about anywhere else!”
— Game On! Little
Game On! group programs are designed for boys ages 11-14 and provides them with information to help make informed choices about healthy, active living. The goal of the program is that participants develop self-esteem, healthy eating habits and be physically active.
Volunteer Commitment: 2 hours/week | 7 weeks
You will lead a group of 8-12 students alongside another volunteer. Each session takes place on school property during the school day and focuses on promoting healthy living. Program manuals and training are provided.
Through regular outings, a relationship is developed between the Mentors and the children, built on trust and common interests, and is supported by our experienced Program Coordinators. The result is a life-changing experience for both the volunteer Mentors and children.
Our volunteers are caring adults, with various skill sets and a range of experience working with children. Volunteers are extensively screened, receive training regarding child safety, and are supported through consistent contact with Program Coordinators.
The Game On! Program strives to:
- promote healthy living and openly discuss current issues facing boys and young men
- build appreciation for the benefits of healthy eating habits
- promote physical exercise through the use of non-traditional activities
- instill respect for socio-economic, ethno-cultural and racial diversity
- encourage leadership skills and independent thinking
- and above all, make a difference.
Change a young boy’s life today apply now. Imagine who they will become because if you!
To become a Game On! Mentor, you must be:
- Age 18 or older, and self-identify as Male
- Live, work or reside in Waterloo region
- Able to commit to 2 hours per week for 7 weeks
- Have weekday daytime availability
- Interested in developing a positive friendship with youth aged 12-14
Your Program Coordinator
I’m here to help you get started!
Please complete the online application form. You will be contacted by a Program Coordinator within 2-3 business days regarding next steps.
We will send an email to confirm we’ve received your application along with a police check letter and your orientation manual.
Police Check & References
Police Checks must be returned to our office and references must be completed before an interview can be scheduled.
An agency Program Coordinator will contact you to book a time to complete the Interview and Pre-Match Training.
If you are accepted as a volunteer, you will receive confirmation from an agency Program Coordinator with information on next steps.
Thank you for wanting to volunteer your time to youth in need of a Mentor. We look forward to meeting you and working together to ensure that all youth have the chance to reach their potential.
- Please do not exit out of this browser, otherwise you will lose all your work.
- Once complete, hit submit and we’ll send you a confirmation email with next steps.
- Questions? Call 519-745-0180 ext. 222 or email email@example.com
- As part of the application process, we require 3 references over the age of 18. Please ensure that you have informed your references that we will be contacting them and encourage them to check their email (including junk mail folder) for the reference email.
- Please read the full reference instructions on the application to ensure the right contact is provided. Note, a vulnerable sector reference must be someone you’ve reported to and cannot be a family member.
Let’s start your application!