“The students get so excited for their match to come – they look forward to it all week. That special time dedicated for just them does so much to improve their self-esteem”.
— ISM School Liaison
“His Big Brother is sometimes the one reason he wants to go to school on a particular day. It gives him something to look forward to and be excited about.”
— Parent of an ISM Little Brother
“My favourite memory is the first drawing my mentee gave me.”
— ISM Big Sister
In-School Mentoring provides elementary students who could benefit from extra emotional, social or academic support, with a caring adult Mentor. The goal is for students to become engaged, connected and confident members of their school and community.
Volunteer Commitment: 1 hour/week
The In-School Mentoring program requires a weekly visit of 1 hour for the duration of the school year. You are matched with a student in grades 1-8 based on common interests and location. The match takes place on school property during the school day and lasts until the end of the school year (April/June).
Through regular outings, a relationship is developed between the Mentor and the child, built on trust and common interests, and is supported by our experienced Program Coordinators. The result is a life-changing experience for both the volunteer Mentor and child.
Our volunteers are caring adults, with various skill sets and a range of experience working with children. Volunteers are extensively screened, receive training regarding child safety, and are supported through consistent contact with Program Coordinators.
The In-School Mentoring Program strives to:
- provide a role model and a friend for girls and boys.
- promote the importance of staying in school and healthy relationships with family and peers.
- instill trust and self-confidence in order to make healthy decisions.
- encourage leadership skills and independent thinking.
- and above all, make a difference while having fun.
Change a child’s life today apply now. Imagine who they will become because if you!
To become an In-School Mentor, you must be:
- Age 18 or older
- Live, work or reside in Waterloo region
- Able to commit to 1 hour per week for a minimum of 4 months
- Have weekday daytime availability
- Interested in developing a positive friendship with a child or youth in grades 1-8
Your Program Coordinator
I’m here to help you get started!
Please complete the online application form. You will be contacted by a Program Coordinator within 2-3 business days regarding next steps.
We will send an email to confirm we’ve received your application along with a police check letter and your orientation manual.
Police Check & References
Police Checks must be returned to our office and references must be completed before an interview can be scheduled.
An agency Program Coordinator will contact you to book a time to complete the Interview and Pre-Match Training.
Thank you for wanting to volunteer your time to youth in need of a Mentor. We look forward to meeting you and working together to ensure that all youth have the chance to reach their potential.
- Please do not exit out of this browser, otherwise you will lose all your work.
- Once complete, hit submit and we’ll send you a confirmation email with next steps.
- Questions? Call 519-745-0180 ext. 222 or email email@example.com
- As part of the application process, we require 3 references over the age of 18. Please ensure that you have informed your references that we will be contacting them and encourage them to check their email (including junk mail folder) for the reference email.
- Please read the full reference instructions on the application to ensure the right contact is provided. Note, a vulnerable sector reference must be someone you’ve reported to and cannot be a family member.
Let’s start your application!